As I promised in an earlier post, I have more goodies to share in the great eco-dying experiment.
It would have been handy if I had actually kept notes about what I was doing. Although at the time I didn’t think I would be doing many pieces, and I figured I would be able to remember how each piece was done. But as each fabric was more interesting when I unwrapped it, I just kept trying new flowers, new techniques, different fabrics.
The flower I’ve found most interesting is the deepest dark purple iris growing in my yard. I have tried using flowers with vinegar, vinegar and heat, soy milk; waited 24 hours, 36 hours, a week; scrunched the flowers, wrapped them tight, put rubber bands around them, and pounded the bundles with a hammer. Some of the bundles I zapped in the microwave, others I set out in the sun in a plastic bag, and yet other bundles just sat on the rocks in the sun.
I have used other colors of iris and yellow daylilies from my neighbors. The daylily produced a nice yellow, but the yellow iris was pretty subtle. I had better luck with the deep pink peonies from my yard, especially with the pounding. Some of the pounded bundles were in a thinner fabric and didn’t hold up to the beating. If there’s ever a tortured fiber exhibit, I’ll have all the fabric needed to create multiple entries.
My last experiment was with the lavender, or as my young neighbor called it purpley-pink, rose. I pounded and then let it sit for a few days. There were interesting blues and pinks until I gave it a rinse; now it is mostly browns and pinks.
What has been the most fun is the element of surprise. Even if I tried to duplicate a piece of dyed fabric, it would be impossible. The last of the irises are going into the freezer so that I will have them to play with later. Maybe I’ll mix them with my daylilies when they start blooming.
As I pack for an upcoming road trip, I am throwing in fabric presoaked in soy milk. You never know what I might find out on the road or at the lake house just begging to be bundled up.